Saturday, February 23, 2008

Have you ever wanted to try using Linux?

A friend of mine sent me a link the other day to a Linux distro that runs from right inside of your Windows session. I downloaded it the same day but haven't fooled with it very much. That part of it that I have tooled around with is pretty slick. What makes this so nifty you ask...

The ability to run dual OSes during the same session has been around for a long time. As an example, you could purchase VMware Workstation V6 Windows or Parallels Workstation. However, there's that pesky little thing called money. Mind you, I loves me some money, but I don't want to pay for something that I won't use frequently. But I do enjoy the convenience of being able to run some Linux apps from right inside of Windows at my leisure. Hence the nifty factor of andLinux. It installed fairly quickly and the only problem I've run across (I should be able to fix it pretty easily) is using sound. I was messing around with KStars last night while running in Windows. That was WICKED COOL!

No comments: