Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A wee bit of surfing the internets.....

led me to discover the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. There are kind of two versions. One is unofficial and hosted over at www.hazegray.org. I find the official version (from the US Navy) much cooler. Why? They have the Ship History/Command Operations Reports for some currently commissioned ships. As luck would have it, they have the command history for the ship I was on during the years I was on it. Check it out! My years were 1994-1997. There were some exciting things that happened during those years. For example, I never knew (or perhaps I forgot) the name of the ship that we helped to keep from sinking in March 1996. But it's right there in black and white (p. 5 of 29 by the file and page 4 of the report). I thought the availability of these reports was excellent. It will be cool when all the ships are complete. I don't miss that haze gray beast. And I might have mentioned it before, but it would have been an amazing chance to take the trip around the world since the GW is now home-ported over in Japan. But......not amazing enough to have stayed in.

Peace out, y'all!

No comments: