Saturday, April 02, 2011

Awesome day!

As long as there's no significant difference between the time that read on the clock when I finished and the actual time I took from the start, I finished the Oak Barrel Half Marathon in about 1:58:00. I'm happy with that for now. It was under two hours and about nine minutes quicker than my first half back in February.

As far as the use of that GU Roctane, I feel it made a difference. My muscles didn't feel as shredded this time. I'm certainly sore after the run and the accompanying 75-80 minute drive home, but I can move right now. Last time, I soaked in a hot bath for at least 45 minutes and was still stiff and sore the next day. Additionally, my right calf got very sore around mile 9 last time. I didn't have any particular focal point of soreness this time. An added benefit? The caffeine. I didn't have my usual half gallon of coffee by race time this morning, so the caffeine was good. Disclaimers? Last time, I probably didn't stretch as much as I should have and the race started off when the temperature outside was colder. Therefore, it's possible that this isn't an apples to apples comparison...

1 comment:

Joel Fortner said...

Hey there! I'm with the Oak Barrel Half. Thanks for joining us this year and congrats on the time improvement! Hope you'll run with us again in 2012!