Wednesday, September 01, 2004

The key to reasonable political dialogue...

I don't agree with the political stance of many of the people I work with. We still get along. Last week, my wife pointed me to "MY Vast Right Wing Conspiracy". I checked it out and even though I don't agree with everything she's saying, I can still be friendly. People often lose sight of this. There are frequently violent protesters at political or other major gatherings. I'm not saying that these people don't have the right to protest or even protest where they want (in public at least). However, the violence is often intriguing considering that at least part of what they are often protesting is violence.

I feel that there are a few important things to remember. I don't think that we're to the point where we need a revolution. That eliminates the need for violence. Another point to remember is that you can't always change people. You can present your argument for what you believe and then let it be. If you're told, "Enough!"... leave it at that. Frequent obscenity (although I am sometimes an offender) might prove that you are emotional about issues, but doesn't add much else to the political discourse. Civility is always the best way to go.

McCain said it well on Monday night:

"All of us, despite the differences that enliven our politics, are united in the one big idea that freedom is our birthright and its defense is always our first responsibility. All other responsibilities come second."

One side note...To read about goings-on from the convention from the vantage point of the NYPD, click here.

No comments: