Monday, April 09, 2007

I hadn't followed the Imus thing much...

In fact, today was the first time I heard any of the uproar. I would like to hope that I wouldn't have said something like that. But...

I'm guilty of helping to perpetuate a double standard regarding racially charged material. I frequently watched Chapelle's Show and I still enjoy Mind of Mencia. Over dinner on Sunday night, I was noting to Suzanne how Carlos Mencia wouldn't get away with some of the things he says if he was a white male. I've never heard Sharpton raise hell about Chapelle or Mencia. That's no excuse for what Imus said. But it's still a double standard...

Imus has apolgized. He will take a public flaying. However, in light of other racially questionable material that continues to air without a ruckus, I hope that Imus doesn't get the boot...

No comments: