Wednesday, October 27, 2004

I've rethought part of my stance on Roy Moore...

You still can't tell me that he wasn't trying to espouse one narrow view of religion over all others, but...

Why do I now support the stance that Roy Moore took? Locally, someone put a very graphic poster showing an aborted fetus in his front yard. People were quite offended by this individual's sign. I am staunchly pro-life. My pro-life attitude isn't driven by any religious values. I'm still agnostic. I'm just bothered by the fact that many people still say that we don't know when life begins but we aren't willing to err on the side of caution. Before a convict is sent to death row, they have to have passed the test of innocent until proven guilty and often the jury must be unanimous. Why are we willing to grant so much latitude to adults and unwilling to save the lives of the innocent unborn? Anyway, I'm all for this dude being able to have his sign in his front yard. He is just reminding the world of what happens in the clinic. He's taking a stand against what he views as a gruesome violation of rights. Roy Moore was doing the same thing. I also happen to feel that the right thing happened to Roy Moore. His peers put the smack down on him.

If it wasn't for brave souls bucking the system, the civil rights movement might not have gotten off the ground. Roy Moore would have never allowed an acknowledgement of other divine sources of law and that's my biggest problem with him. However, he fought with principled strength for what he believed. Sometimes you just have to take a stand. Perhaps it's just my anarchist side speaking....

No comments: